Thursday, May 3, 2007

Silver Jubilee- Jaan Pehechaan Ho

Today I came across this clip by way of the myspace page of a friend named Toshi. I guess it's from a scene in the movie Ghost World, but I have never seen that movie so for me it really came out of left field.

Here's what I like about it:
- I like that it's got a 50s style lead singer, 20s style flapper dresses, surf-music coming from a big band stand with Indian lyrics, and everyone is wearing masks.
(Which, I'm sure all make perfect sense if you understand the language, and have seen the rest of the movie.)

- Haha, the sound that is supposedly coming from the guitars...

- Please note how ungraceful the women's leg movements are- their toes are often turned in for a good knock-kneed effect or just appear sloppily planted for some other reason, and the lead woman's facial expressions are extremely hard to interpret. I like this.

- Ruffle blouses

- Also, yes I realize this isn't western, but from a western standpoint, this has got to be some of the weirdest choreography I've ever seen. And I've seen Starlight Express.

Why do you like it?

No comments: